- Label EVERYTHING.
- Start packing earlier rather than later. It always takes a lot longer than you would expect to pack.
- Clean as you go. There is nothing worse than having to spend hours and hours cleaning the house you are leaving. It is time consuming and quite frankly just plain boring.
- Start thinking well ahead. For example, if you have a garden/lawn. Think about how much work you need to do to get it tidy. If there is spraying that needs to be done, do it a month or so out so that it is tidy by the time you leave.
- I have never bought boxes or packaging when I have moved. I have always gone into places like supermarkets and homeware stores and asked if they had spare boxes. I keep newspapers for months before and take anything that is going to be put in recycling from our workplaces as well.
- Make lists! Make a list of anything you are getting rid of, and start getting rid of it before you actually move. Book in an op shop or other charity to pick up things you don’t need/want anymore but are still usable.
- I know this seems basic but it is so easy to do. DON’T pack all your books in one box! Spread them out among different boxes so you don’t end up with a box that weighs a tonne and takes 4 people to lift.
- Don’t forget to take a final reading of your meter reader and call your power company. That way you won’t be overcharged for power you do not use, especially if your landlord is going to be doing work in the property after you leave.